Wednesday 2 July 2014

Summer Songs

*original post on my wordpress here*

I find that there are always certain songs that remind me of summer, whether I associate them with a memory, or just because they're feel-good. These are my top 10 I listen to pretty much every summer. Why? Because I do.
  1. JET - Are You Gonna Be My Girl. This is certainly a favourite in my family. I can't count the amount of journeys we've made when this has been on the playlist. It's catchy, upbeat and great to sing along to.
  2. Belle Histoire - Stay Awhile. I discovered Belle Histoire a good few years ago now, and this has to be my favourite of their songs. It's sweet and chirpy, just like summer should be, which is why I always listen to it to get myself in a good mood.
  3. Arctic Monkeys - Fluorescent Adolescent. Although I'm a firm believer that their first album is their best, this track is perfect for summer. Dangerously close to being a little poppy, very few people have never heard this track, so it's great for groups of people.
  4. Paramore - For a Pessimist, I'm Pretty Optimistic. My favourite track off Riot! by far. Despite the seemingly negative subject matter, the track itself is super upbeat with a pop beat that's great for summer dancing (or, if you're me, jumping around like someone possessed. What can I say. I was gifted with two left feet).
  5. You Me at Six - Save It For The Bedroom. This song makes me feel 15 again, and reminds me of all the summers I'd sit in my best friend's room and waste time on youtube or trying to get our friends together for a barbecue that never happened. Nostalgia in a song.
  6. Muse - Starlight. To be honest, almost anything off Black Holes & Revelations I associate with summer, but this is probably the one track I can put on at a barbecue that everyone will know. Off what is arguably Muse's best album, it a perfectly positive summer track.
  7. Hey Monday - How You Love Me Now. Another song that reminds me of my teenage years. It was one of the first songs I tried learning on guitar and I always play it in summer. It just about defines pop rock, with Cassadee Pope's vocals suiting the genre down to a T.
  8. Away We Go! - City of Sin, With a Twist of Tulips. I could never really place my finger on what I liked about Away We Go! They're definitely strong pop rock, but Ray's unique vocals always brought something different to the table for me.
  9. The Killers - Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll. Does what it says in the title - I suppose Mr Brightside would have been a more obvious choice, but this song is both relaxing and very summery.
  10. Razorlight - Stumble and Fall. Another car playlist appearance. Or, if you're my Dad, you put on Up All Night but only end up playing this song on repeat. It's upbeat, positive, and (take it from me) very catchy indeed!
**next week's blog will be Thursday**

No comments:

Post a Comment